Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Recipe for Endurance

The last couple of weeks have absolutely flown by. Summer is just around the corner and it's time to play. Last weekend a couple of girlfriends and I headed to Quinn's Hot Springs for a much needed pool soak. Between the tequila sunrises, good company, and an entertaining bridal party, our overnight adventure to Plains was a perfect getaway. Endurance recipe #1: Surround yourself with the people that make you a better person and you can make it through anything. Adding vodka also helps.

Hiking is my favorite form of exercise. The snow is melting off the mountains and the trails will be clear to roam. The excitement is killing me. My dad and I headed up the Bitterroot Valley to Lake Como, a beautiful lake north of Darby. Having only lived 6 miles from the lake for several years, we couldn't believe that we had never hiked to the lakes inlet up the canyon.The Como Peaks are one of my favorite views in the Bitterroot. Endurance recipe #2: Keep life exciting. Explore new places and things will never get old.


Moving on to the BEST kitchen "hack" I have learned to date thanks to my coworker. Maybe I'm the last person to know this-- but I still feel the need to share it for any of you out there that aren't aware. I make smoothies just about every morning for breakfast. I love my blender, but cleaning it daily for one smoothie can get old. I make kombucha so I have a ton of mason jars around the house. It just so happens that most blenders fit the mouth of standard mason jars. You know where I'm going with this, and YES you can use a mason jar instead of the blender pitcher to make your smoothies! Endurance recipe #3: Try the best you can to get along with your coworkers. I know I'm thankful for this one.


 Last but not least, the final (and actual) recipe. I'm a huge fan of crackers. They are a weakness of mine. I have gone through countless boxes of Cheezits, Wheat Thins, Goldfish, and Ritz Bits Sandwiches with Cheese. These are all so delicious and so terrible for you. Last summer my friend Jory brought a bag of homemade crackers on a camping trip in Glacier. I don't think I will ever buy crackers again. They are so simple, tasty, and actually healthy. I give you Endurance recipe #4: Endurance Crackers by Oh She Glows

Endurance Crackers

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds*
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • Spices of your choice to mix in with the seeds or sprinkle on top. I have used chili powder, garlic powder, curry powder, and salt.

1. Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix the seeds together. Pour the water mixture onto the seeds and stir until thick and combined. Season with spices at this time if you wish.
3. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet with the back of a spoon until it’s less than 1/4 inch thick. Not to worry if a couple parts become too thin, you can just patch them up. Try the best you can to get to this thickness as you don't want the inside of the crackers to not fully cook. 
4. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, slice into crackers, carefully flip onto other side with a spatula. Bake for another 25-30 minutes, watching closely after about 25 minutes. I typically take mine out around this time. Allow to cool completely on the pan. Store in a container or plastic baggy.






Endure and enjoy! Until next time explorers..

1 comment:

  1. I expected you to end with "Until next time explorers-- adventure is out there!"

    ReplyDelete