Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A Toast to 2014

2014, you've been good to me.

This past year has been full of ups and downs, surprises, changes, new adventures, and lessons learned. Hence why it's been so good to me.

Here's a little summary of my accomplishments and adventures from 2014:

1. Broadening my vegetarian cooking and not eating meat during January. I know it doesn't seem like much to only challenge myself for one month but the goal was to make nutritious meals that were filling and plant based. I don't plan on becoming a vegetarian anytime soon but the experience only further supported my ideals of eating the meats that I truly want to eat (aside from the occasional hand dipped corn dog at the fair because you're kidding yourself if you don't want one).

2. Challenging myself in a fitness competition. For me this was going beyond running the several 5k's I run every year and doing something more. In May I finished my first Spartain race coming in 267th out of 1855 women. It was a long road, but worth every mile. We will see was 2015 brings.

3. Hiking higher and higher. Just when I thought I'd be in Missoula for another amazing summer, life took a turn and I found myself in New Mexico. For all of you who read my blog or know me, you know that I love food and hiking more than most things. My journey to the Southwest not only expanded my stomach and love for chile, but I set my personal record for summit elevation with Wheeler Peak (13,159ft) and then two weeks later exceeded it with Mount Lindsey (14,042ft). After returning to Montana, I hiked over 60 miles in just over a month as a weekend warrior which I hope to shatter this summer in Utah. Thanks to hiking, catching the 14er bug, and my favorite La Cumbre beer, I took on the life motto: get elevated.

4. Montana to Utah. Deciding to make the move from Montana to Utah was huge, but I was ready for something new. With all of the adventuring I had done all summer I realized that there are so many places that I needed to go out and explore. Salt Lake has been full of mountains, new food, people, and lifestyle. It feels fresh. Change is a good thing and putting yourself in uncomfortable situations keeps one from becoming complacent. Keep life exciting.

Some of my favorite moments from 2014:
Exploring Wilderness in New Mexico

The introduction of the gilded ski jacket

Mount Lindsey - and it's false summit

Celebrating hikes with my favorite beers

Celebrating one of my oldest friend's bachelorette party in Vegas

The thing I love most about the new year is making new goals. Goals can and should be an ongoing activity, but there's just something about reflecting on a year and thinking about what goals you attained and what is yet to come that I really enjoy. If you aren't working to better your self, life, or surroundings....what are you doing?

I don't want to go into detail about my life goals, but there's something contractual about blogging about them which will hopefully boost my accountability.

Here is a brief insight to some of my goals for 2015:

-Listen more, swear less
-Ski at least 5 Utah ski resorts
-Hike the peaks of the Wasatch front range
-Conquering a few specific yoga poses
-Visit  Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Arches National Parks (why else am I in Utah?)
-Change my own oil
-Keep hiking...too many places to name.
-Visit a new state

If all else fails, just do more of whatever makes you happy.

"Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing" -Barry Finlay

Adios 2014, Hello 2015.

k.












No comments:

Post a Comment