Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Benefits, Beers, and Bacon

And then it was Sunday.
Why do the weekends always seem to escape us?

In the midst of spring trying to make an appearance in Missoula, a little rain doesn't scare my friend Jory (an Oregon native) and I from running a 5k. Our biggest obstacle seemed to be the smell that the Noodle Express truck was creating just before the finish line. Rain, running, and teriyaki sauce do not mix.

Luckily, the clouds lifted just and time and a couple hundred people came out to run, walk, and support the Okon and Capen families in memory their loved ones. I was happy to run with coworkers and alongside one of my best friends which only reminded me of how fragile life can be and to make the most of the time you have with the ones you love most.


After you run a race, that justifies any beer drinking you may do later that day...right? Which leads me to the important milestone that was made on Saturday. After 7 years on and off in Missoula, my friend Jory FINALLY enjoyed her first beer actually at the Kettlehouse taproom. Next stop, KH North.


Given that I start my buckled down training for the Spartan Race in two days, I decided to treat myself with a recipe I had been eyeing for the last month. Spicy Beer Candied Bacon. Yes, it was one of the best things I have made. Ever. Try it, you won't regret it. I modified it to fit my personal tastes and throw in some Montana flare. The multiple fights with my testy smoke alarm were still worth every strip. Enjoy!

Spicy Beer Candied Bacon:

Ingredients:
1 pound thick cut bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
2-3 tablespoons Bayern Face Plant beer (any dark beer will work)
2 tablespoons Sriracha, because it is the best. (but any hot sauce will work)



Method:
Preheat the oven to 400.
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, beer, and hot sauce.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place a rack that is the same size or smaller than the baking sheet on the sheet.
Lay the bacon on rack. It will shrink when it cooks so don't worry about it overlapping.
Place in preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes
Remove from oven. Using a spoon or brush to paint the bacon with the sauce on both sides.
Return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
Repeat this process until the sauce is gone and the bacon is golden and crisp. I had to repeat the process about 5 times. Every oven is different. You wouldn't want your bacon to be burnt and hard.
Remove from the oven and allow the bacon to cool for 1 hour.

Store the bacon in an air-tight container or eat it all at once, my lips are sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment