Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Just Can't Get Enough - Soup and Muffin Frenzy

Some things are so good you just have to have them twice. In the past 2 weeks I made two new recipes and then made them again because I enjoyed them so much. Both recipes are healthy and very easy to make. Both can be modified using any ingredient to fit your taste. If you don't love these... I honestly don't know what to tell you. Enjoy!

Spring is finally here. Spring cleaning my apartment also brings cooking to clean out my cupboards. One of my favorite ways to do this is making a soup. Yes it is spring, but remember I am in Montana where "spring" temperatures are > or = 40 degrees. I digress...  I had some veggies that were bordering their lifespan that I didn't want to waste and 2 huge logs of goat cheese, my guilty pleasure.

I found a recipe that I decided to modify both in ingredients and in quantity.

Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese
2 red bell peppers, cut in half and seeds removed
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced (use yellow onion if you do not want the strong flavor)
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1 TSP thyme
1 pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups vegetable broth (chicken is also fine)
4 ounces of goat cheese
and of course, Sriracha to taste

Method:
1. Place red peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down, broil until the skins are blackened, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a sealable container and let "steam" for about 20 minutes before removing the skins and dicing. Honestly, I can never remove every bit of skin, just do the best you can to remove the blackened part.
2. Meanwhile, toss the cauliflower in olive oil, place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400 degrees F oven until tender and golden. About 20-30 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and cook the onion until tender, 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Add the roasted red peppers, cauliflower, broth, and goat cheese. Simmer 10 minutes before pureeing to your desired consistency using a hand blender or transferring the mixture to a stand up blender.

Made about 4 servings.

In my last post I talked about the 5K my friend and I ran at the end of March. I failed to mention that afterward we went to a gathering at my coworker's house where we ate muffins and drank sangria (yum!). I fell in love with these muffins and so did everyone else. They are easy, healthy, and delicious. Naturally I had to make them again.

Coconut Morning Glory Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp allspice
2 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil (if solid, put jar in a bowl of warm water until melted)
1 1/2-2 cups shredded carrot (about 4-5 large carrots)
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and allspice. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, honey, and vanilla. Add in coconut oil and combine.
4. Slowly stir in flour mixture until it is moistened. Batter will be very wet.
5. Slowly fold in the carrots, chocolate chips, and raisins. Batter will still be thick.
6. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide batter among the cups evenly..
7. Bake muffins for 30-35 minutes until the center comes out clean with a toothpick. My muffins took the full 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to sit for 5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. Also note that the muffins will look and be dense.




No comments:

Post a Comment