Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

Colorado Lovin'

In attempt to do my best to try new things and check things off of my bucket list, I made my way down to one of my favorite places, Colorado. 

When I found out John Butler Trio was playing at Red Rocks, I had to go. Not only do I love JBT, but I had been dying to go to a show at the famous amphitheater. Luckily I have three great friends who live in the Denver area that were all lined up to go to the show as well. 

I was able to spend my first night in town with my college friend, Olivia. We feasted on Whole Foods salads and in the morning she took me to Snooze. For those of you who don't know, the one food I refuse to eat is regular syrup (think Mrs. Butterworth's). This has led me to steer clear of most breakfast foods that are topped with it, pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc. Snooze may have changed my pancake outlook. I decided to indulge in a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie pancake, a half order of Italian-style eggs benedict, and bacon, of course. 

That afternoon I made it out to Boulder to stay with Melody, my partner in crime from high school. She frequents Mountain Sun Brewery, which I also love, so we decided it would be a great place to eat before we got on the shuttle for the show. A basil bleu burger, an F.Y.I.P.A, and a cheers to Mel getting her first teaching job later, we were off to the show. 

After escaping an evening thunderstorm, we made it to Red Rocks and found this beautiful lady that I hadn't seen in about four years, which was four years too long. Please note the natural wine lipstick Melody and I are sporting. John Butler didn't disappoint. I'm glad to say I've been able to see them live twice in six months and that I have now experienced a concert in one of the most beautiful venues. 


Our Saturday plans were just as exciting as the concert: Rollerblading brewery tour around Boulder. Greg, Melody, and I are all "bladers" so we took this opportunity to kick off the season of weird looks and high fives from our choice of transportation. We first drove to Oskar Blues in Longmont for a tour of the brewery. Oskar Blues has always been into canning their beers, which I love. Fun fact: the recipe for Dale's Pale Ale (their flagship brew) was found on only the second attempt of home-brewing. Pretty damn good luck.


After Oskar Blues it was time to blade. We traveled first to the 303 Distillery which was one of the most laid back and eclectic places I've been to. I got a Spicy Pineapple which is pineapple juice, cayenne, and vodka. We bladed to a newer brewery called Sanitas after the distillery where we played cornhole. This place would be a perfect fit in Missoula, with a fun atmosphere and discounted beer when a train goes by. I have never felt a better time to sport the "socks and sandals" look which didn't seem as ridiculous considering we had roller bladed to the brewery. 


Sunday was another day of breweries, games, and walking around Boulder. The other breweries we visited were Bru, Boulder Beer, and Avery, home of the Sour Fest which I hope to attend next year. If you haven't tried a sour, I dare you. Six breweries and a distillery in two days had us in pretty good shape. Colorado puts up a mean fight to Montana beers and I highly recommend visiting any and all of them if you are ever in Boulder. 

It was time to head back to Missoula. Turns out that that John Denver wasn't so full of it. Colorado you've stolen my heart yet again.

Get ready for an adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment