Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Desert Dessert

The weather in Albuquerque couldn't be any better than it has been in the last couple of weeks. Days of sunshine that don't get scorching hot and evenings full of wild thunderstorms and rain.

If I haven't mentioned it before, I love rollerblading aka "blading" and call my fellow members near and far as "bladers" (we kind of have a gang-thing going, apply within). Albuquerque has several paved biking trails that are uninterrupted by cross traffic making them perfect to blade on. My favorite trail is the Bosque Trail which parallels the Rio Grande. I've been able to go on many tours on the trail to soak up the sunshine before hurrying back to the AC.

This past weekend I was really excited to have my friend Erica come and stay with me for the weekend on her way back east from the Grand Canyon. Erica and I originally bonded over outdoor activities and Missoula breweries so it only made sense to take her to my favorite breweries in the Querque.
Erica at our second trip to Marble
The weekend consisted of many pounds of New Mexican food, four different quesos, beers, and acquiring a CD from a local hip hop artist (performance included). Luckily my friend from high school Sydney, who lives in Albuquerque, was able to join in the festivities. All I have to say is if you ever have the opportunity to listen to live, local music - even if it's not your style- do it. I don't think the start of our night could have been anymore entertaining than the four-man lineup at Ghost Flame that we stumbled across on Saturday.
In the same shape she left me in. Broken foot.
I realized the other day that as much as I am enjoying being in the Southwest this summer, I was really missing something that always reminds me of summer and home: rhubarb. I love rhubarb. My mom has always made rhubarb pies, sauces, cakes, you name it, she makes it and it's always delicious. I worked at a pie and ice cream shop for three years in South Dakota that serves up some of the best pies I've ever had and especially the ones with rhubarb. Surprisingly the rhubarb in New Mexico was looking good and inspired me to bake.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

This is one of my favorite desserts. I love crisps because of the crunch on top and they are a heck of a lot easier to make than a pie. I like to taste the tartness of the rhubarb so if you feel the need to adjust the recipe accordingly then do so. The granulated white sugar can be substituted with honey or agave nectar. I would only use a couple of tablespoons if you choose to go that route.

Ingredients:
2 lbs of fresh strawberries, hulled & sliced (roughly 2 lbs)
2-3 cups of chopped rhubarb (make sure to cut larger stalks in half before chopping to make smaller pieces)
1 cup granulated white sugar (to taste)
2 TBS cornstarch
Topping:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 TBS butter, slightly softened
Dash of salt

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Place chopped rhubarb in a bowl, sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar on top and stir. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Place sliced strawberries in a bowl, add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and stir. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Drain any excess liquid from the bottom of the two bowls after time has passed. Combine fruits into one bowl, add cornstarch, and stir until cornstarch is absorbed. Pour fruit mixture into a 9x13 in baking dish. In a separate bowl mix brown sugar, oats, and a dash of salt. Add butter to this mixture and combine using a pastry blender or two butter knives to cut the butter in. Combine until crumbly. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over the top of the fruit.

Place dish in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Start checking your dessert around 30 minutes as you don't want the crisp to burn. At 35 minutes I shut the oven off and let the crisp bake the remainder of the 40 minutes.


I plan on finishing this pan. Treat yo'self always. Enjoy this dessert from the desert. 9 days until I travel north.

k






No comments:

Post a Comment