Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

Adios New Mexico

August already? Amazing how time flies when you're having fun. I didn't know what to expect on my journey to New Mexico. I figured I'd get a tan (more freckles), eat delicious food, and go on a few trips to hike. All of which I did aside from the tan, therefore remaining one of the most pale people in the state. Can't win them all.

My goal was to do as much as I could. I made lists of places to eat, visit, and explore and I can honestly say I completed all of these things except catching a lizard, those little devils are quick. I really fell in love with the Southwest. Call me crazy, but there is something about the colors and culture that just got me.

 Looking back, I couldn't be more happy about the things I have accomplished. My hiking goals were exceeded by hiking the tallest peak in New Mexico (and in my life) and defeating that record by hiking my first 14er. I absolutely loved stand up paddle boarding the Rio Grande even though I couldn't see the bottom of the river. I loved that I was able to meet up with my close friends who live in Colorado and have others come and stay with me.

After experiencing Albuquerque and many parts of New Mexico to their fullest, I'll share my favorite places to go and things to do if you ever find yourself here.

1)  La Cumbre and Marble Brewing - great beer and a good atmosphere.
2) El Patron - The best queso I could find and you'd better believe I tried many.
3) The Sandia Crest- accessible by tram or car, it's a beautiful view and trail in the forest overlooking the city and across the desert.
4) Bandelier National Monument - such a unique area about an hour north of Albuquerque full of ancient Native American petroglyphs and gorgeous landscapes. 
5) The Shed (Santa Fe)- if you find yourself in Santa Fe you must go here. Yes you'll need reservations or it'll be a long wait, but the food is worth it.
6) Taos- my favorite place in New Mexico. Breweries, the Rio Grande Gorge, Taos Cow, ski areas, and mountains. I can't wait to get back. 

I really could go on about the places to visit. In the end, the things I'll miss most about New Mexico are:
1) Lizards and road runners
2) Breweries not closing until midnight
3) Inexpensive and delicious Thai food
4) Ristras decorating the streets and buildings
5) Real margaritas and salsa - they will just never be the same up north
6) Hot air balloons filling the sky in the morning (Balloon Fiesta, I'll see you someday)

Things I will not miss:
1) The worst drivers in the country - this has been confirmed by people who live here, I'm not being biased.

Some of my favorite moments from this trip:
Blue Sky - Rebel Donut

Wine kisses

Mt Lindsey accent

The. Best. Pho. Ever.

Petroglyphs at Bandelier National Monument

Williams Lake - Taos

The last two months have exceeded my expectations of New Mexico and have been truly wonderful. I'll be seeing the Land of Enchantment soon.

Fire season is heating up in Montana. I can't wait. Missoula I'm coming for you. 

k






No comments:

Post a Comment