Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Celebrating Fall

October, welcome.

Things I love about October:
1. It's officially fall
2. Oktoberfest
3. Sweater weather

The weather has been absolutely perfect in Missoula which is great timing given it's officially my last month in town. As for my hiking goal of 60 miles by October 1, I exceeded it with getting 64 miles of hiking under my belt in just over a month. I can't wait to start hiking in Utah and exploring a new set of mountains and terrain.

My friend and I made what will most likely be our last (for now) ascent to the top of Mount Sentinel. The view truly never gets old. While we were at the top a paraglider was setting up to take off. We were able to see him take his approach and fly off the mountain. Definitely something I had never been able to witness before, pretty amazing.
Looking east from the summit


For my last long hike in Montana I decided to make my second attempt at Upper Holland Lake which I had tried to hike to a year ago but had been misguided. The Seeley/Swan area northeast of Missoula is one of my favorite areas in western Montana. We made it a few weeks too early to see the larch turning in full swing (which is absolutely incredible) but nonetheless still beautiful.
View from above the main Holland Lake


Upper Holland

I'll miss these colorful river rocks

The weather is cooling off which can only mean one thing for my kitchen: crock pot time. 
In light of me needing to dwindle the items in my refrigerator and pantry before my move, I decided to go with Honey Soy Chicken by The Recipe Critic. Instead of using soba noodles, I made a batch of quinoa with mushrooms to top with the chicken. I also mixed in a tablespoon of chunky peanut butter to each serving. Enjoy!

This past weekend was Oktoberfest, a celebration I had been counting down for from a year ago. The six hour drive to the mountain town of Leavenworth, Washington was worth every mile, carb, and bruise from the weekend. For those of you who are not familiar with Leavenworth, the entire town has a theme of Bavaria. The shops and signs are all in English and German and it is amazing. I highly recommend making the trip there along with planning some hiking in the Enchantments which I unfortunately wasn't able to do (this time). Our group was rowdy and festive -- I love lederhosen. 

October may be my new favorite month, two weeks left in October and two weeks left in Missoula.
Time flies doesn't it?

k

No comments:

Post a Comment